Sunday, June 20, 2010

Diving at Sipadan-Mabul

I have been itching to dive at Sipadan as it has been more than a year since my last trip there in December 2008. After the dive trip to Lembeh in March this year, my yearning to dive again became stronger and stronger. I initially planned for a trip for 3-4 people but due to spread of word, my group grew larger to a 10 member crew. Honestly, I wasn't keen about the big group due to a lot of logistic planning plus I don't really like to dive with such a big group but  then again, all is good. As they say, the more, the merrier. The day we left for Tawau came closer and I was SO excited that I couldn't sleep for 2 days!

Met Alli, Josie and baby Allison at Tawau and got acquainted with my new dive com. The weather was good (although it did rain a bit but that did not stop us from diving). The company was great! Stayed at SWV. Had a beautiful view from my chalet :) Amazing place. I love this place.

Did a total of 15 dives in 4 days including 2 dawn dives, 2 sunset dives and 1 night dives.

Day 1:
Dive sites: Paradise 1 (check dive), Ribbon Valley 2, Paradise 1 (sunset dive)

Day 2:
Dive sites: Beach 3 (Si Amil), Danawan Reef, Kapalai HouseReef, Paradise 2 (night dive)

Day 3:
Dive sites: Barracuda Point, Turtle's Patch, South Point, Barracuda Point (2nd trip coz we couldn't get enough of 'em barracudas), Paradise 1 (sunset dive)

Day 4:
Dive sites: Paradise 2 (dawn dive), Seaventures HouseReef, Old Lobster Wall

Highlights:
•Turtles galore (so many HUGE ones!)
•Schools of barracudas and jacks
•Schools of Giant Bumphead Parrotfish
•Saw this lone Great Barracuda that scared the shit out of me...
•Pygmy seahorse (omg! so cute!!!)
•Flamboyant cuttlefish (too excited to see this!)
•Juvenile Papuan cuttlefish (so cute!)
•Juvenile yellow boxfish (i like this one)
•Juvenile common lionfish (beautiful!)
•Juvenile giant frogfish
•Zebra lionfish
•Napoleon wrasse
•Helfrich's dart goby
•Red and Purple fire goby (i like)
•Ornate ghostpipefish
•Gold spec jawfish (i like!!!)
•Dancing shrimp goby (i like!)

Wow looks like a long list. But you know what, every dive was good! (even the check dive!). I was so sad to leave that I had diving withdrawal syndrome for weeks! I will definately be back this October hehehe...definately, to celebrate my #100 dive ;)

No comments: