Monday, June 8, 2009

Bali trip

After a bombed planned trip to bali last year, I was quite wary of going for another trip again this year. I was truly looking forward to it, especially right before and after the exams. Even then, I wasn't sure if I could make it due to work. Barely 48 hours before the trip, I finally confirmed my leave. Even THEN, I can't be too excited about it since I did dreamt once that I forgot my passport when I was at the airport, waiting for my flight to Bali....

Anyways, the day came and even THEN, I couldn't sit still until I was already on the plane to Bali

28th May 2009 - Day 1
  • Woke up damn early for first flight to kl. So damn sleepy koz slept late the night before - packing and double checking that my passport is in my bag.
  • Transit time at KL was 6 hours. managed to go to S's house at Damansara and makan yummilicious home cooked malay food, play wt her niece and rest
  • Flight delayed to 4.30pm. Put on our N95 mask at the departure hall. I'm pretty sure the 3 of us had some CO2 retension.
  • Arrived bali around 6.30pm, tired. Was surprised that the airport is so near Kuta. Checked in into our hotel at Melasti. Hmm ok lah. Then walked to Discovery Mall for dinner. Was starvinggggggg.....
  • Walked back right up to Ramayana hotel and back to our hotel. Exhausted from travelling the whole day

29th May 2009 - Day 2

  • Our supir (driver) for the day, Pak Yanto picked us up.
  • First stop was at Bajra Sandi - monument on the Balinese people's struggle. Pretty interesting and I like the stone bricks as well as the statues. The dioramas were also very educational.
  • Visited a traditional Balinese house which is also a kampung-fied gallery. Many very beautiful paintings. This was where I discovered A's power of bargaining...
  • Lunch at Kintamani. It was pretty cloudy and misty and on top of that, it was drizzling. Food was alright altho I did like the Balinese satay. I prolly wouldn't go there again except visit the lake
  • Stopped over at a ?plantation. Learnt about Kopi Luwak - its basically coffee made from coffee berries that has been eaten by mongoose (luwak) and digested. The luwak then poops the coffee bean and that bean is roasted and grounded to coffee. Not very nice if you ask me, but then again I'm not a coffee person. Get to sample the normal coffee, ginseng coffee, ginger tea and cocoa. Bought some souvenirs.
  • Quick stop to see the rice terrace. Not very nice as the padi were already harvested
  • Stopped over at some small shops. Bought some mirrors and earrings. Good deal
  • Shopped some more at Kampung Bali (sorta like a warehouse)
  • Dinner at A&W (pronounced A- En-Weh in Indonesian)
  • Exhausted

30th May 2009 - Day 3

  • Today pakai Bas No 11, ie jalan kaki. Walked from our hotel to Kuta beach and along Kuta beach. Can see people learning surfing here. Expects lotsa local people trying to sell their services here - teaching surfing, hairbraiding, manicure, pedicure, massage etc
  • Then walked into PoppyLand - shop shop shop and more shoppinnggggggggg. Bought: bag, dresses
  • By the time we got the Legian - exhausted, hungry, thirsty, hot, sweaty
  • Dinner at Art Corner
  • Walked back to our hotel and then took a cab to Tamara Spa. Had an hour of aromatherapy massage. Hmm wouldn't go back there tho.
  • Headed to Jimbaran beach to watch the sunset- Cantik!!! Had dinner there. Pretty nice and not too expensive (we had a 25% discount). After dinner, we had a very rare opportunity to witness a turtle landing on Jimbarang beach to lay its eggs. So lucky!!!!!

31st May 2009 - Day 4

  • Today Pak Nur brought us around.
  • Our first stop was at Sukawati II market. Aim: shopping. Bought: bags, sarongs
  • Besakih. Pak Nur adviced us to bargain habis habisan, even for guide fees. If they charge too expensive, just tell them, we don't need a guide, we don't need information, we will return the tickets and leave. Lucky for us, we did not have to resort to such thing. One thing about Besakih, the temple of all temple, there is a dress code and if you're not covering your knees, you should wear a sarong. I was not informed that the distance from the gate to the temple is 2km (not too sure about the exact distance) and we refused to go on the motorbike ride (which only cost 1USD). By the time we reached the temple, I was panting and out of breath. But this place is MASSIVE. Memang tidak sempat tengok habis. In fact, we only visited 1 aras ( there are a total of 7 temples). Weather was cloudy and we were in a rush to make it in times for sunset at Uluwatu. Would definately visit Besakih again next time and this time prolly spend the whole day there and make full use of the guide.
  • Stopped halfway for a late lunch- Nasi Padang
  • It was a looooooooooooooooong drive to Uluwatu. Beautiful, although you have to be careful of the monkeys there, and not fall off the cliff! Amazing scenery. Watched the Kecak Dance - Balinese interpretation of the Rama and Sinta Epic. Kecak kecak kecak kecak kecak kecak cak cak cak
  • More shopping at Rip Curl and another surf shop. Bought a bikini and a bag

1st June 2009 - Day 5

  • Went to Kuta beach to learn how to SURF for only 120,000 rupiah. First lesson on the beach (ie on land): How to go from a lying frontwards (?)/ prone to a standing position. A few tries and we are in the water. The intructor bought us to the waves and then guide us. After a couple of tries, I managed to stand! It was pretty kewl. Could stand and maintain balance for most of my tries. During this stint, I also found out why surfers wear rash guard/wetsuit. My tank top rode up on a couple of occasion and I was at risk of exposing my tits...
  • More shopping at Ubud. Bought more dresses
  • Had Ibu Oka's Babi Guling. Ok la. Nice

2nd June - Day 6

  • Last day
  • Last minute shopping. Bought bags
  • Did 2 temporary tattoos - a flower vein around my right ankle and 2 butterflies on my left medial malleolus
  • Off to the airport. Shopped for last minute souvenirs ie chocolates
  • Flight from Bali-KL-KK was exhausting. Full stop.

Overall, I would definately go to Bali again. Love the culture, the places, the shopping. I love the fact that their dresses suit petite asian girls wt small boobs like me AND they are CHEAP! My next trip, hopefully, would be for diving.

No comments: